Monday, September 21, 2009

I still haven't taken pictures of my new place yet. A thousand pardons.

After a week of lectures, some of which were great, I started in the hospital. My first rotation is surgery, and the first 2 weeks were with a colorectal team. Interesting medicine, and interesting doctors. One an older, revered Professor of surgery, who has a very old-fashioned, and enormously educational teaching style. He really believes that teaching is as big a part of his job as practicing medicine. The other man has only been in Cork a couple of years, but is also a great teacher, and his patients love him. For the next 2 weeks (one past, one coming up) I'm in Mallow, apparently the ancestral homeland of Tip O'Neill. Things are a little quieter up there, so I'm getting to admit patients, take bloods, ECGs, etc. It's great, and reminds me that I learn much better from doing than reading or watching. Though it feels all too familiar from other times when I've been stationed out of the city, I'll include some pictures here for your enjoyment or what have you.


The top one is the view from the res. Pastoral, no? The other three are my room. It's en suite and everything. Not to shabby. Its only draw back is the view:

Not that it's an ugly hospital, but I generally don't like to live in sight of my work. Here's a picture of the hospital from the front:


One evening I took a walk into town looking for a cyber cafe. Though we have internet access, email is blocked.



The top picture is this old building with a forest inside. I thought it was cool the way the trees were coming out the roof, door and windows. The next is a restaurant I passed on my walk. Perhaps Kentucky has a meaning I'm unaware of? The last is just some pretty berries I saw. I didn't eat any of those, though I did stop to munch some blackberries growing beside the road.

That's enough for one evening. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: